Yield: 7 serving
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 1 pound (500 g) carrots
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) (125 mL) butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) almond extract
- 4 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon (63 mL) cake flour
- 2 teaspoon (5 mL) cinnamon
- 6 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a Bundt pan. Grind almonds in a spice grinder. Beat together butter and white sugar until thoroughly combined, then add ground almonds, egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat until thoroughly combined.
2. In a second bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients, add carrots, and mix well.
3. In a third bowl, beat egg whites until they hold stiff peaks, gently fold them into the batter until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 50 minutes. Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then gently loosen and turn out onto the rack to finish cooling. Frost or enjoy plain